Are you about to travel to Amsterdam and the subject of public transport is stressing you out? No need to think about it any longer, we’ve got the solution: the GVB pass.
It’s a pass, in the form of a small card, that you can use over a period of 1 to 7 days, to take any public transport in the Dutch capital.
One payment in advance of your arrival and… that’s pretty much it. You’ll then be able to get around the city on public transport at any time of the day or evening.
Getting around Amsterdam
If there’s one thing you can’t take away from Amsterdam, it’s that there are plenty of ways to get around. In fact, the Dutch capital can count on a well-established system that enables locals and tourists alike to get from A to B fairly quickly:
- Tramway: Amsterdam has a well-developed tramway network. These run very frequently, criss-crossing the whole city and beyond.
- The metro: if you’re visiting the Dutch capital, you can also take the metro. There are 5 lines operating every day!
- Bus: it’s a method of transport not often used by tourists, but the bus is a great way to get to the main points of the city, like Dam Square!
- Cycling and boats: these are two other fun, fast and very efficient options for getting to the places you want to discover. Boats, however, are a little less frequent than the streetcar or metro. For the rest, you can always rent a bike.
How much does public transport cost in Amsterdam?
It all depends on which option you choose. There are several options. The first is the OV smart card. This is a reloadable card. You can add 10 euros, 20 euros if not more. Each journey costs €0.96, plus €0.16/km. It’s a rather complex method that doesn’t necessarily correspond to your status as a tourist. You’d be better off using the “GVB Pass – Free Transport“!
Discover the GVB Pass for getting around Amsterdam
The GVB Pass is the precious sesame that allows you to discover Amsterdam over a period of 1 to 7 days… without having to worry about anything to do with public transport. A single payment activates the card for the desired period. You won’t have to pay a thing once you’re there.
What are the advantages of the GVB Amsterdam Pass?
With the Amsterdam GVB Pass, you can use absolutely all public transport in the city, starting with the metro. It also includes streetcars, buses and water cabs.
It’s very easy to use. Simply scan your pass each time you enter the metro, streetcar or bus. Don’t forget to scan it again when you get off or get out. That’s pretty much it!
Please note that the card does not apply to regional rail journeys, nor to journeys to and from Amsterdam Schiphol airport. Finally, if you have a young child (under 4 years of age), he or she can travel free of charge.
How much does the GVB Amsterdam Pass cost?
If you decide to book your GVB Amsterdam public transport pass with Treepeo (in partnership with GetYourGuide), you’ll benefit from great rates. For one person, for one day, it costs 9 euros. A week’s pass (7 full days) costs 41 euros.
This may sound expensive, but it’s always cheaper than buying a single ticket or using an OV card. Last but not least, you’ll gain in convenience. You won’t have to think for a second about public transport. It’s much more pleasant.
How do I book the GVB Pass for public transport in Amsterdam?
Would you like to book the GVB pass for public transport in Amsterdam? It’s very easy. Simply enter your date of arrival in the box below. You can then enter the desired duration of your GVB pass for public transport in the Dutch capital.
Once payment has been made, you’ll receive confirmation by email. On the day of arrival, you’ll need to collect your pass, exchanging it for the coupon you’ve received by email. There are several options for this:
- GVB Service & Tickets Central Station: open Monday to Sunday from 8:30 to 19:00
- GVB Station Zuid: open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 19:00, and Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00.
- GVB Station Bijlmer Arena: offices are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 19:00, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00.
- GVB Station Nord: offices open Monday to Sunday, 10:00 to 18:00